United Nations Joint Work on Human Rights was designed to provide a framework for cooperation and facilitate collaboration between United Nations Agencies and National Human Rights institutions. The goal of this collaboration is to enhance coordination, harmonization and reduce transactional costs but also duplication thereby strengthening Malawi’s capacity to meet its human rights obligations. Interventions are implemented through annually agreed workplans involving six UN agencies (UNDP, OHCHR, UNICEF, UNW, UNFPA, and UNAIDS). Whereas MHRC is the main implementing partner, Office of the Ombudsman and Ministry of Justice (Human Rights Unit) are Responsible Partners.
To strengthen Malawi’s capacity to meet its human rights obligations
Main Project Activities
- Enhance coordination and harmonization in human rights interventions
- Strengthen technical capacities of national human rights institutions
- Enhance Malawi’s engagement in state party reporting and Universal periodic review,
- Strengthen human rights protection
- Increase Human Rights awareness